In accordance with the articles of association, there are two categories of membership: active members and associate members.
Active membership of the Association is open to any natural personal who:
– is working either full-time or part-time as a translator and/or interpreter for an enterprise or organisation
– is working legally either full-time or part-time as a freelance translator and/or interpreter
– holds a translation and/or interpreting degree requiring at least four years’ university study. In the absence of a translation and/or interpreting degree, the person must hold a degree in a different discipline requiring at least four years’ university study AND demonstrate professional experience as a translator and/or interpreter equivalent to at least five years’ full-time work immediately prior to applying.
In the case of languages other than those featuring as the main languages of a translation and/or interpreting degree, an official certificate is required of attainment of at least the level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Active members must also have a link to Luxembourg, such as:
– be employed in Luxembourg as a translator and/or interpreter;
– be working legally as a self-employed translator and/or interpreter in Luxembourg;
– be a sworn translator/interpreter at the Luxembourg Supreme Court of Justice;
– hold Luxembourgish nationality.
Associate membership of the Association is open to:
– students enrolled on a translation and/or interpreting course who are officially resident in the Grand Duchy and have not yet completed their studies;
– translators/interpreters living in Luxembourg who no longer actively work in this capacity;
– active translators/interpreters living outside Luxembourg and having no link with the country.
Associate members may participate in all Association activities but are not listed in the members register and are not entitled to vote. They cannot be members of the Management Board and they pay an annual subscription half that of active members.
Any natural person wishing to join the Association shall apply in writing to the Management Board, which shall examine the application. Its decision is not subject to appeal to any other body and the Board is not obliged to give any grounds for refusal of an application.
On becoming a member, the applicant is bound to respect in full the articles of association and the code of ethics.
If you meet the criteria set out above in respect of one or more categories and it is important to you to defend the interests of translators and interpreters working in Luxembourg, we invite you to attend our next meeting (the dates are announced on the upcoming events webpage of the Association) and to submit your completed application form, together with the required documentation, to the Association Secretary on this occasion. The Management Board assesses applications at least once every quarter.
Download the application to become an ACTIVE member of the association (currently available in French only)
Download the application to become an ASSOCIATE member of the association (currently available in French only)